The USB2AX is a direct way to control a Dynamixel TTL servos directly from a computer or a single board computer such as a Raspberry PI, Odroid. You can also use it as a tool to setup, diagnose or fix your servos.
What servos can it talk to?
The USB2AX can talk with the Dynamixel servos which use a half-duplex TTL interface (3-pins connector), more specifically
- All of the Dynamixel AX servos (AX-12/AX-12+/AX-12A, AX-12W, AX-18F/AX-18A)
- The “T” versions of the Dynamixel MX servos (MX-28T, MX-64T, MX-106T)
- Communication with AX and MX Dynamixel servos (with 3 wires) @ 1Mbps
- Small form factor (16x36mm)
- Optimized latency
- Protection against ESD and short circuits
- Advanced functionalities: sync_read, ...
- Windows / Linux / MacOS
- Compatible with RoboPlus, Dynamixel SDK, ROS, Python, C/C++/C#, Visual Basic, Java, Labview, Matlab…
Fortunately, the USB2AX can not do everything ;-)
The USB2AX cannot communicate with the Dynamixel servos using the RS485 interface (the one with 4 pins).
Neither can it control any sort of hobby/RC servos or other brand of robot servos. Compared to the USB2Dynamixel, it also lacks the RS232 port (with its big DB9 connector) used to program some controllers from Robotis like the CM-510.
It can not supply power to the servos (see Q: How to power the servos).
Xevelabs USB2AX v3.2a Dynamixel Driver
- Control Dynamixel servos that use TTL communication from the USB port of your computer
- WorldWide Availability: 9 (France: 10)
- 33.48€ Euro